|HILARY'S BLEND® RENAL 350g
Use to balance home-made meals for dogs. Contains 11 minerals (calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium, zinc, iron, copper, manganese, iodine and selenium) and 11 vitamins (vitamins A, D, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, pantothenic acid, choline and folic acid). Carrier is chicory root extract, prebiotic fibre to stimulate good bacteria in the gut. For use with the recipes in the Complete & Balanced cookbook for dogs, or make your own recipe at www.hilarysblend.ca
Use to balance home-made meals for dogs and cats with kidney disease. Should be used with the recipes in the Renal cookbook. Contains all the nutrients in HILARY'S BLEND® regular supplement plus 6 additional nutrients: taurine, tryptophan & methionine (2 amino acids), vitamins C & K1 and biotin. Formulated to meet the specific needs of pets with kidney disease.
Use to balance home-made meals for cats. Contains taurine, plus 11 minerals (calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium, zinc, iron, copper, manganese, iodine and selenium) and 13 vitamins (vitamins A, C, D, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, pantothenic acid, choline, folic acid and biotin). For use with the recipes in the Complete & Balanced for Cats cookbook, or make your own recipe at www.hilarysblend.ca
100% human pharmaceutical grade supplement (highest grade possible)
The term "human grade" can be misleading. Human grade does not just apply to the source of an ingredient, but also to the entire supply chain. Obviously human grade ingredients must be sourced from human grade suppliers. However, they must also be transported in trucks that are exclusively used to transport human foods. They must be warehoused in warehouses exclusively designated for human foods. They must be blended and packaged in certified human food facilities. If a "human grade" ingredient leaves the human food supply chain (is transported in a non certified truck for example), it is no longer considered human grade. It cannot re-enter the human food supply chain and it can no longer be sold as fit for human consumption. In other words, if a pet food company buys a "human grade" ingredient, then brings it into its pet food facility, that ingredient is no longer considered human grade. Pet food companies often claim that their products contain human grade ingredients. Typically this means that they have purchased some of their ingredients from human food suppliers, but this does NOT mean that their pet foods are fit for human consumption.
Human grade supplements typically cost 5 to 10 times more than the equivalent supplement in pet grade. This increased cost is not just due to higher priced ingredients. There is a significant cost associated with the more stringent QA requirements for human foods. Pet food companies are subject to far fewer regulations or inspections than human food facilities.
HILARY'S BLEND supplements are 100% fit for human consumption. It contains 100% human grade ingredients that were transported by human food trucks, warehoused in human food facilities, and blended and packaged in a government regulated human food facility. Its ingredients are similar in quality to those found in name-brand human multi-vitamins such as Centrum®, One-a-Day® or Flintstone's®. HILARY'S BLEND supplement meets all government requirements for being sold as a human supplement in a grocery or drug store.
HILARY'S BLEND supplement offers excellent value for pet owners. If you want to only feed foods that are 100% fit for human consumption, HILARY'S BLEND supplement meets this criteria..
Bioavailable source of essential vitamins and minerals
HILARY'S BLEND supplements contain high quality ingredients that are stable, non-allergenic and proven to be easily absorbed into the pet's body. This supplement contains the following essential nutrients
HILARY'S BLEND supplements are specifically designed, using food formulation software, to balance the home-made recipes featured in the book Complete & Balanced: 101 Healthy Home-made Meals for Dogs by Hilary Watson, or Complete & Balanced for Cats: 101 Healthy Home-made Meals for Cats by Hilary Watson or Home-made Renal Recipes - home-made recipes for dogs and cats with renal disease by Hilary Watson. The nutrient content of the supplement itself is not as important as the nutrient content of the supplement + recipes in the book. It is the supplement + recipe that the dog will consume, so it is the supplement + recipe's nutrient content that is important. Each recipe in the book provides a complete nutrient breakdown for that recipe.
vitamin mineral supplements for pets are not balanced for human food
ingredients. Commercial pet supplements are designed to be fed in conjunction
with commercial pet foods. Commercial pet supplements generally contain
calcium and phosphorus in a 1:1 ratio because that ratio will not upset
the calcium to phosphorus ratio found in commercial pet foods. Fresh
meats however contain 10-30 times more phosphorus than calcium.
HILARY'S BLEND supplement has a unique calcium to phosphorus ratio designed
to offset this high phosphorus to calcium ratio in meats.
Highly concentrated (dose rate), excellent value
HILARY'S BLEND supplements are designed to balance home-made meals. Every food has a unique nutrient profile, every combination of foods (ie every recipe) will have a different nutrient content. No single supplement can properly balance every combination of food ingredients. I use formulation software to balance the 38 different essential nutrients in food ingredients with the 22+ essential nutrients in the supplement to provide complete and balanced meals. My supplement will not necessarily balance other people's recipes. The "dose" is not dependent on the pet's body weight, it is dependent on the foods used in the recipe. HILARY'S BLEND supplement is generally included in my recipes at a rate of 1.5-2% (15-20 grams per kg of prepared food). If you want to test whether your own recipe can be balanced with HILARY'S BLEND supplement, starting in 2018, owners will be able to use the software at www.hilarysblend.ca to evaluate their own recipes. Instructions on balancing your own recipe here.
to other supplements, it's important to remember 3 things about HILARY'S BLEND supplements:
1) HILARY'S BLEND supplements are human food products. HILARY'S BLEND supplements contain ingredients that are comparable in quality to those used in name-brand human supplements such as Centrum®, One-A-Day® and Flintstones®. It is blended and packaged in a human food facility. For more information on the benefits of human grade products, see above.
2) HILARY'S BLEND supplements contain no cheap fillers. The supplement is 100% active. Most pet supplements contain fillers or flavor enhancers. Read the label and check the ingredient list. The first ingredient in HILARY'S BLEND supplement is chicory root extract, an expensive extract which is more than 75% pre-biotic fiber. Following chicory root extract are essential vitamins and minerals. There are no fillers in this supplement. Every ingredient serves a purpose and actively contributes to the health of the pet. Check the ingredient list of competitive products. Most contain several inexpensive fillers and carriers. Some pet supplements are up to 95% filler.
3) HILARY'S BLEND supplement is more concentrated than most supplements. 15-30 grams of HILARY'S BLEND supplement is used to make a kilogram of home-made dog food (1.5-2% inclusion rate). A 350g bottle will make approximately 20 kilograms of food which would last a 40lb dog approximately a month. The vitamin and mineral levels in HILARY'S BLEND supplement are very different from those of other vitamin mineral supplements. Commercial vitamin and mineral pet supplements are intended for pets being fed commercial pet foods. Virtually all commercial pet foods are formulated to meet AAFCO minimum nutrient guidelines, so they already contain all essential vitamins and minerals that a pet needs. Because many minerals and some vitamins can be toxic at high intakes, pet supplements designed to be fed in association with complete and balanced commercial pet foods must contain low levels of these nutrients to be safe when fed with any complete and balanced commercial pet food. For this reason, they have relatively low concentrations of most vitamins and minerals. In fact, some pet supplements are up to 95% filler. Read the ingredient list to check for fillers and flavor enhancers.
Hypoallergenic ingredients, no animal products
The most common allergens are proteins contained in meat, fish, dairy or cereal ingredients. There are no meats, fish, dairy products or cereals in HILARY'S BLEND supplements. The only plant ingredient in HILARY'S BLEND supplement is chicory root extract. This ingredient is an extract which is more than 75% inulin, a pre-biotic fiber. This ingredient is almost 100% carbohydrate, and contains only trace amounts of protein. All of the other ingredients in the supplement are purified sources of essential vitamins and minerals. This supplement is 100% hypoallergenic, safe for pets suffering from allergic skin disease, atopy or any other allergic condition.
No fillers, no preservatives, no additives
HILARY'S BLEND supplement is 100% active. The exclusive carrier is chicory root extract, an expensive source of pre-biotic fiber. Pre-biotic fiber enhances intestinal health by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria at the expense of harmful bacteria. All other ingredients in the supplement are purified, bioavailable sources of essential vitamins and minerals. There are no fillers, no preservatives, no additives.
Pre-biotic carrier (chicory root extract)
The carrier ingredient in this supplement provides active health benefits. Chicory root extract is more than 75% inulin, a potent fructooligosaccharide that has been proven to enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, at the expense of harmful bacteria. The benefits of this extract are supported by many published clinical trials. It helps to promote gastrointestinal health. Any pet being fed home-made meals will benefit from chicory root extract - a natural, no-risk way to promote healthy gut microflora.
Human pharmaceutical facilities have much higher quality control standards than pet food companies. Any product being produced for human consumption must meet government requirements for ingredient quality and for controlled blending and packaging. HILARY'S BLEND supplement is a human food product produced under the highest quality control standards. These standards have 4 components:
1) First, all ingredients to be used in HILARY'S BLEND supplement are quarantined upon their arrival at the blending facility. Each ingredient is separately analyzed for potency and purity before being released from quarantine for use in the supplement.
2) Second, the blended supplement is quarantined and analyzed prior to being bottled. This is to ensure that the blended mix meets nutrient specifications. Once it has passed this analysis, it is then bottled.
3) Third, a few bottles are randomly sampled from each run and tested for their nutrient content, again to ensure that they meet nutrient specifications.
4) Finally, several bottles from each run are retained to ensure that samples are available from every product run should we receive any customer complaints.
HILARY'S BLEND supplements are backed by a 100% money-back guarantee should you be dissatisfied in any way.
of use|contact us